Thursday, August 24, 2017

Great advice for painters:

From

Plein Errors: The Top Ten Mistakes Artists Make While Painting On Location:
#10: Forgetting to squint to eliminate detail and see values more clearly
#9: Getting bogged down in detail instead of massing in the basic shapes
#8: Painting over an incorrect passage and making mud instead of scraping
       down/wiping off that section to start over
#7: Painting too large a canvas for the amount of time available before the light changes
#6: Not mixing up enough paint and skimping on paint application
#5: Giving up too early
#4: Wiping off the entire painting in the field (your painting might just be better than you think it is...)
#3: Focusing on one area too long instead of seeing the entire design
#2: Using small brushes at the start
And the Number One reason why paintings fail………………

#1: Not having a clear plan before you start! 

I found this on her blog, very helpful.

Just finished an experiment is size. Tried a small 4 x 4" canvas with a view from my front garden


Digititizing A Passion Play by Jethro Tull. It was panned but one of my favorite albums. Not wild about the talking parts but very creative musically and engineering. Also, while digitizing Killer by Alice Cooper, found a 1973 article in the St Louis Post-Dispatch. One of the photos is fun...

The reporter made a comparison between rock shows and circus acts, saying "one of the outer (sic?) rings must belong to Jethro Tull, perhaps the most musically adventurous of the top band. This group is driven by Ian Anderson, the most bizarre, intriguing and entertaining performer today.

Wait till he sees what the 80's would bring. My, how times have changed... the reporter asked Neal Smith, percussion, "Whether it bothered him being associated with fag rock."

"Naw, " he said, "as long no one tries to touch me."

Will drop off my painting of one of our lakes at the Bonita Springs Center for Visual Arts September show, I recently joined to expand my circle of exposure. Getting closer to Naples where there is BIG money! This one I finished last summer:


Finished number 2 in a four part construction-art project. Nothing fancy but fun:



So, will try to finish some others I have started before I head to Denver, KC, Columbia, and Saint Louis in September. Looking forward to seeing my friends, siblings and former colleagues. 

Remember, my website is claudelylesartworks.com and my work is for sale...don't be shy, maybe we can work a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment