Sunday, December 09, 2018

October in Saint Louis and Florida

New Art: 


My entry in the Alliance For The Arts contest
Did not win but at least accepted by the Jurors 
Working on multiple canvases, hope to finish by Thanksgiving.




And, Class at the Bonita Springs Art Center starts on the 14th, it is drawing with a model. Have not done this in about 38 years. Should be fun. 

Listening To: 

Eric Clapton double album with hits, live, out-takes, and b-sides; Stone Temple Pilots, 90's #1's.

Reading: 

3 chapters in. Just as divisive then as now
Finished

And, still working on 12 Rules For Life by Jordan Peterson. This clinical psychologist is a lot smarter than am I, so I have had to go back and read each chapter 2-3 times. About half way through. Love chapter/Rule 5 Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them. In essence, you love your children, if you don't like their behavior, think how the rest of the world will view them/disassociate themselves from them since they don't love them like you do. You need to give them a chance to succeed in a tough, cruel world. 

From Days Of Old: 

I was sitting on a park bench several weeks ago waiting for my sister Val to join me at a restaurant in downtown Punta Gorda and looked over at my car. Hard for me to believe it is 11 years old. Looks pretty good, doesn't it?




When I reported to UMB in downtown Saint Louis I was stationed in the lobby on 8th. The other lender (Greg) and I had English writing desks. Unfortunately the leather was worn/torn. I was given the charge to contract with a restoration company that replaced the leather top and gold embossing around the perimeter. Back in the day someone would sit on each side, they both have drawers and the desk was large. Found this article recently which reminded me. Crosby Kemper had the townhouse style building fitted with colonial fixtures, Brazilian Teak herringbone pattern plank floors, custom rugs, and early American Art - expensive early American Art. 


The September before we were married, Linda threw a surprise birthday party. Clearly I was surprised as you can tell by my clothes (Stanford t-shirt, flip flops) as I entered her back yard. Family and friends were there, live music.


SURPRISE!!!



Trips:
In October I had a chance to visit Saint Louis to see family, friends, and attend my annual retreat at the Jesuit White House.


view of my favorite chapel, seats about 90
composite of the grounds and a small chapel, overlooking the Mississippi River


























We are joining two couples in Gainesville to watch the Tigers vs. Gators this weekend so I wanted to get this blog out. Did this four years ago with the Tampa chapter of the MU alumni association and also saw them a couple of years ago vs. Minnesota at the Citris Bowl in Orlando.

Then, later in November we will take our first trip to Key West for a long weekend. Will use the Key West Express, a boat that stops in Naples and reduces the trip to 3 hours from 6 by auto. Looking forward to it. 

Humor: 

Funny (but scary) thanks to Amazon


Yesterday was Halloween: 

Had a scary visitor...





No comments:

Post a Comment