Friday, January 18, 2019

Fine Art and Spring Training, and stuff from Fort Myers

My website: claudelylesartworks

You can click on the photos to enlarge, then pinch them open for an even better view.

U Pickem farm is open, picked up my first bag of tomatoes this week, right off the vine. Remember, the growing season is different down here; by the end of April, no more fresh tomatoes.


Update: My sister's MB convertible sold. Thanks to all who inquired.

New Art: 

12 x 12 acrylic on board

5 x 7 acrylic on board


Old Art:  

Today I was notified that two of my paintings were accepted to the 30th annual Bonita Center for Visual Arts Members show. Hopefully I'll get a ribbon or, even better, sell them. It is the Amsterdam Canal in the lower left, below, and the Key West street scene in the lower right. The show runs the first three weeks in February if you are in the area. If you have an interest in owning original art (mine) contact me to work out a price and shipping and handling arrangements.


We re-arranged my art wall















Art Purchased:  We made our annual visit to the Marie Selby Gallery and Gardens to purchase two Costa Rican masks. I think this will be it for a while.


Travel:    

On the 12th we joined the Edison Ford Estate Directors Tour to Miami. Specifically the Wynwood area which is a reclaimed warehouse district as it fills with art galleries, studios, restaurants and now the inevitable condos. Still rough, but you can see investors are pumping in millions of $ and it is a vibrant area.  Link to The Wynwood Walls Our guide was from Miami Culinary Tours so we stopped for 5 small plates. The final stop was Walt Grace (see John Mayer) Vintage Cars and Guitars. Link to their site In addition to the collection, it is an active guitar shop which brings in a good number of visiting musicians. I have to admit, for a few minutes I wish I had not sold all of my equipment when we moved here. I felt I had to decide between art or music and I think it was the correct decision. The value here is 1 I did not have to drive in or into Miami, 2 I would have never tried to visit this area on my own, and 3 Now I know where to go or advise you when you come to visit.

Interesting pseudo Vegan place

Street scenes in Wynwood

One stop had a Warhol shrine


This gallery featured an artist from whom we purchased a climber several years ago

Next up in February will be a day trip to Lakeland: Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright at Florida Southern College (not U of South Florida which I confused many years ago) and historic Lakeland tour.

Reading:     

Landscape Painting Essentials, Monet and the Mediterranean, Realistic Oil Painting Techniques, Painting In Nature, and a rare (for me) piece of fiction - Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens who co-authored my earlier read Secrets of the Savanna about their time in what is now Zambia.

Freedom of the Press, in my mind is not absolute. There is a responsibility involved as noted by Thomas Jefferson: "During the course of administration, and in order to disturb it, the artillery of the press has been levelled against us, charged with whatsoever its licentiousness could devise or dare. These abuses of an institution so important to freedom and science are deeply to be regretted, inasmuch as they tend to lessen its usefulness and to sap its safety." —Thomas Jefferson (1805)

"If by the liberty of the press were understood merely the liberty of discussing the propriety of public measures and political opinions, let us have as much of it as you please: But if it means the liberty of affronting, calumniating and defaming one another, I, for my part, own myself willing to part with my share of it, whenever our legislators shall please so to alter the law and shall chearfully consent to exchange my liberty of abusing others for the privilege of not being abused myself." —Benjamin Franklin (1789)

I guess it goes back to the idea of freedom itself - not the right to do anything you want, but freedom to do what is right, or good. Of course you need to think deeply and honestly of what is right or good. I heard they have whole classes on this alone.

Listening To: 

Jane Arden, Jane's Addiction, Jason Aldean (see a pattern here)? Gloria Estefan Greatest Hits.

Chris Isaak's You Owe Me Some Kind of Love - the first time I heard it I was on my way to work and I actually pulled over to hear the whole song. It was magic, first time I heard of CI, great lead guitar. uTube video link. When you go t the link it will have a brief ad. When the site pops up, click on the photo of Chris. See, I am getting better at the link skills.

I find copy-write law interesting. And, how much money you make from royalties as a songwriter (not the performer, by the way) as they play your song over and over and over, over all the years. So, if I have it right, song titles are not copy-write protected. For example, I found at least 9 different songs titled Stop The Car. A couple of them, and I mean two, were pretty good. This is how I learn about new groups, sounds. When I research a song or a group, one thing leads to another and pretty soon I am listening to their library on iTunes, then I can see if the real library has anything which lets me dive deeper. Enough.

Watching:       

Mary Poppins original to prep for the new MP
A Quiet Place (disappointing, should have been longer, came off like a first try, which it was for JK).

Baseball:     

Spring Training is coming. I renewed my two season tickets which are located between home and first, last row which places them under the overhang keeping the sun and afternoon thunderstorms off. And, easy in and out. I share them with my high school friend Bill. Might have to sell a couple of games as I will be going to Lakeland to see the Cardinals vs Detroit, and Clearwater to see the Cards vs Phillies. This is the first year since we arrived, almost six years ago (hard to believe) that the Cards are not visiting FtM Twins and Red Sox. One of these years I need to scoot over to Jupiter to see the Cards at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment