Thursday, April 18, 2019

Fine Art, travel, music, and More!

April 17, 2019
Link to my website: Claude Lyles Art Works  , recently updated. I need to sell some of these pieces, you need original art on your walls to impress your boss and casual friends. Just ask and you will be amazed at how inexpensive it is to join an exclusive association of art owners. I'll give you a price framed/unframed and it will include shipping and handling.

I've interspersed lyrics from the music I discuss later in the blog. 

My only social media is Instagram. I use it to keep track of all the wonderful art being created every day, all around the world. You can see a more current version of my comings and goings, art in progress, friends visiting SW Florida, etc. 

Reminder that you can click on photos to enlarge and pinch open even further.

"Can't you hear me knockin'
 on your window?
Can't you hear me knocking'
 on your door?
...Help me baby, ain't no stranger."

New Art: 

Wed afternoon drawing class

Harns Marsh #2, Lehigh Acres, FL 8 x 10" oil on wrapped canvas $149

Harns Marsh, Lehigh Acres, FL

Delnor-Wiggins Pass SP, oil on canvas pad, framed $299

Koreshan St Park, oil on board 6 x 4", unframed $89

On a mission, maybe flying solo, have to get to point B or there will be problems. May not make it back but I am going to do this..might not see them (or her) again. Man, its lonely.

"Observe Radio Silence observe
Radio silence observe radio silence
Maintain radio silence throughout"

Old Art:

From my personal collection - three etchings and a photo of Notre Dame Cathedral.




"Life has its problems
So I think I'll give it a break.
Oh, I'm going back to the family 'cause I've had all I can take.

But...
     Sister's sitting by the mirror
     She thinks her hair looks funny
     Doing nothing is bothering me

There's more fun away from the family
Get some action when I pull into town

What the hell was I thinking?
Phone keeps ringing all day long" :(

Travel:

Last Director's Tour for the season with the Edison Ford Estate. We motor coached up to Sarasota and then Bradenton. Left FtM at 7:45 AM and returned 6 PM. Very pleasant day. Lunch on the Manatee River Walk in Bradenton at Mattisons Waterside Grille.

We have visited the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens many times. If you remember, that is where we acquired several Costa Rican masks over the years. It is on Sarasota Bay.  I took so many photos that I condensed many into collages, such as the one below of floral close ups. Imbedded in the grounds was a tribute to Gauguin. The Mansion had photos and 10 woodcuts, wood engravings, and lithographs of Brittany, Martinique, and Tahiti by PG. One of the sites where Gauguin lived and created art was the Marquesas Islands (1901-03).  A coincidence - about two weeks ago I was listening and listening and listening to my favorite CSN (and sometimes N) song Southern Cross. I was dissecting the lyrics and ran across his (Stephen Stills, co-writer) reference but did not know exactly where were the islands and had to look it up. So I was prepared for this exhibit!
Marie Selby Gardens, Sarasota, FL

Gaugan exhibit in the gardens
...And on the downhill to Papeete; off the wind on this heading lie the Marqueses...
When you see the Southern Cross for the first time
You understand now why you came this way.
...But on a midnight watch I realized why twice you ran away.
More garden photos








"I'm breaking in, shaping up,
Then checking out on the prison bus.
This is it, the apocalypse.
Whoa
...welcome to the new age, to the new age.
Whoa, oh oh oh"



Photo exhibit at the Bishop Museum of Science and Nature


The Bishop Museum aka South Florida Museum in Bradenton had a National Geographic Photo Ark display. Great shots by Joel Sartore. It runs through July 15 if you are in the area. 

This is a display NOT under water but using lighting and position that sure made it look like it behind the display glass.

Likewise, using a soft acrylic stream up top and, again, lighting and positioning below, it appears that you can see the habitat from below. 


Music: 

During my trip to Sarasota/Bradenton I listed to the R section on my phone. 
Radio City Serenade by Mark Knopfler. Tribute to NYNY and Statue of Liberty, bridges, subway, silhouette.
Radio Ga-Ga by Queen. Only song of theirs I truly like. Surprise, written by the drummer even though it is the melody I like. Lady took her name from the lyrics.
Radio Mullah by Thomas Newman. No words, he is one of the top soundtrack writers. My favorite 4 minutes of his would be Any Other Name.
Radio Silence by Thomas (the late) Dolby. Quirky '80's song. not the Styx version, BTW.
Radioactive by Imagine Dragon, not Kings of Leon version; and, ID version by Lindsey Sterling featuring Pentatonic (recorded a year later 2013).

Listened to probably my favorite Jethro Tull song - Back To The Family. Passion Play Edit #8 is a close second. Favorite album of their's is Benefit. Wore it out summers of '70, '71. Want's to leave the wild recording/touring scene, but when he gets home (If you've gone away to college, toured with a band, or a team you know the feeling) its not quite what he remembered so he goes back to London - same old issues, what's he to do?

New (old) song I like, John Hiatt's band Little Village - "Well she might run cold for you; She Runs Hot for me."

Favorite song I don't have (working on it) Can't You Hear Me Knocking? Fun lyrics, fit the tune perfectly, cord changes, base/drum line, and jazz ending.

    R.I.P. - Hal Blaine, 90. Much of the music I transcribed from LP to disc last year had drumming credit to THE session drummer for the 1960's and 70's... Frank, Beach Boys (can you believe it - Good Vibrations?), Elvis (such as Return To Sender), etc. Go back and listen to the opening riff on the Ronettes' Be My Baby. Even The Byrds' Mr. Tamborine Man. Batman theme.

Reading:
Trying to finish The First Congress. What a wonderful mess, today's conflicts are nothing...one of our first senators referred to another as a monkey in new britches. And, slavery was on everyone's mind, framing discussion and laws. As a sidebar, listened to an incredible description of Ben Franklin on Newt Ginrich's podcast Newt 360; an even better one was his talk on Julius Caesar. I am sure I was taught something about him back in school days but hearing of his ruthlessness and how and why he operated at today's age is eye-opening.

"Every wounded soldier
needs a lady with a light
to help him through the night."

Humor:

From Reader's Digest - You'd think this stuff is made up...No Dumb Questions? Ans: Yes, there are.
Hope my former supervisors and HR associates enjoy:
"EVERY DAY my supervisor tells me to stop chatting and get back to work. Can he do that?"
"Will you give me a raise if I stop smoking Marijuana?"
"Can my boss require my to work specific hours?"
"I falsified my resume. Now that I'm working here, can I change it?"
"Since my mother and father died before I came to work at this company, will I be credited for bereavement leave I didn't get to take?"

(I didn't think this was funny, I thought of asking it several times over the years) "Can I defer my salary until next year so I don't have to pay taxes this year? I don't need the money this year."

An employee said that he couldn't come to work because his fortune-teller had asked hm not to step out of the house or he would suffer a brain hemorrhage.
On my first day at work I accidentally called my boss "Daddy".  oooh
The woman confessed - At the end of the phone call, I told my boss I loved him. I caught myself, but started rambling: "Oh my God! I didn't mean that. I absolutely don't love you...No, I mean, I like working for you but I know you're married and I'm married, and I'm not flirting, so please don't report me to HR..." At some point he just hung up.

Hospital charts:
(Gotta fill in the blanks in the forms) "Social history reveals this 1-year old patient does not smoke or drink and is presently unemployed."
She is numb from the toes down.
The skin is moist and dry.
The patient is tearful and crying constantly. She also appears to be.....(my pause) depressed.
On the second day the knee was better, and on the third day it had completely disappeared.

Can HR be the problem?
I'm a teacher, so I have a million stupid rules I have to follow. But the worst one is that my performance evaluation is based on student improvement on a statewide literacy test. I teach wood shop.

At my old job, HR held a meeting to tell us that there was too much swearing on the sales floor. Someone pointed out that swearing is very common in our industry and that is the way that our customers speak. SO, HR later sent a memo explaining that swearing should be limited to the conversations with clients.

Or bosses?
When corporate came to visit the bank, the CEO complimented me by saying, "You aren't as dumb as HR made you out to be."

"I know my plan won't work, but don't disagree with me in front of others." Yes, sir.

I got a citation in my file because I told my boss that Bob Marley did not write "Red Red Wine".

Can IT help us?
"Can you please move the image up a tad and down a hair?"
"I want you to build me an App Store. Like the Apple App Store, but only better."

And, clean up your resume/application:
Under Objective - To secure a position as a front office.
Skills - Perfectionist with a keen I for details.
            Being bilingual in three languages
References produced - "Clare"
Compensation - Current salary $36,000, Salary desired $223,000
Interests: I enjoy cooking Chinese and Italians
               My three biggest hobbies are cars, racquetball, golf, and reading.

                    * * * *
"We watch the shows
We watch the stars
on video
For hours and hours
We hardly need to use our own ears...
Let's hope you never leave, old friend
 (background soft and slower 'Radio'"


No comments:

Post a Comment