Monday, May 15, 2017

Alright, Alright, painting again. I had prepared the base for two new abstracts anticipated to be similar to my recent Black, these are Beige and Blue. Today I applied the geometric shapes and started to lay down the white or black base where I anticipate applying the more nebulous color and shape formations. We'll see.

Over the weekend I watched 7 short videos from Daniel Edmonds out in the Denver area on technique and process and 4 by Alyson Stanfield more on the business/motivational aspect. AND, watched an inspirational 90 minute DVD on Van Gogh - I don't know about you, but when I see his paintings, I just want to run to my studio and start painting, something, anything, color and composition, brush strokes, the prep drawings in ink... He was not very good starting out, could not decide what he wanted to do before he became all in, and really had to work on his perspective. It worked out. I did not realize there are 860 oil paintings. I have to get to work!

Saturday, I stopped by the farmers market that had U Pick 'Em tomatoes. Oh my, I forgot how good tomatoes are when picked fresh and eaten within a day or two. The Florida growing season is backwards from the midwest in many ways and right now there are rows and rows and rows over on Gladiolus Dr of ripening tomatoes, nice size, firm, and best of all - tasty; not like the washed out slices you are served in restaurants.

In retirement, there, I said it, I have taken on 1/2 of the pool upkeep, the cleaning side. Today was my first successful vacuum and brushing. Looks crystal clear. We recently switched to salt water and are happy with that. I will test it shortly after my walk or bike ride :)

So, back to painting - I want to finish 4 small pieces this week and move on. I have four others started, shaded drawings I can build on. Then, thanks to Vincent, I want to try to draw every day, just like in school. I need to learn the Florida shapes, trees, sand, rocks, etc.

Lastly, I think I will enter one painting in June's show at the Art League of Fort Myers, the 8 x 10 Delnor-Wiggins Pass SP oil.

Saw this cartoon in the local paper, for all my climate change fanatic friends following Fahrenheit follies...all credit goes to Scott Adams.


No comments:

Post a Comment