Monday, May 04, 2020

Were you supposed to graduate this May?, some new art, Things I Find Interesting, no politics


Enjoy the photos, you should be able to click on to open them up and even pinch open further.

New Art:

8 x 10 oil on canvas pad, for a friend

This is from a photo I took Independence Day July 2019 on Fort Myers Beach about 9 - 9:30. It is oil on a canvas board 10 x 6". 

Reading: 

This fall I took a class at Florida Gulf Coast U, essentially a workshop painting class. The teacher, Morgan Paine, had this book on the reading list. It is an excellent, brief intro to AE. First, a general overview, then single page coverage of an artist and a piece. I highly recommend it.

In Reference to Grimms' Children's Stories and Household Tales:
If you know anything about Mae West...
"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

Listening:
Some times, usually at night I want to climb up onto my red tile roof and belt out this one by the group  from Birmingham AL: Remy Zero. While it is about a break-up, a portion covers these Strange Days (but that's a different song, right Doors?) This link will take you there. Enjoy Save Me. It will take about 1 minute to load, be patient. 


"Crawling around

Somebody save me
Let your warm hands break right through and
Save me
I don't care how you do it
Just stay
Oh come on
I've been waiting for you"

So, I'm listening to my collection of London Grammar. I LOVE their sound on Hey Now, Strong, Oh Woman Oh Man, etc. 
I was listening to a live BBC cut of Bitter Sweet Symphony. I remember that that this is a cover of a song by The Verve. What I didn't realize is that it was written by...some guys named Mick Jagger and Keith Richards AND a christian rock singer Richard Ashcroft (Are You Ready? and Born Again). Strange. 

I Find These Things Interesting:

Brain Power: In college I took Algebra, Calculus I and II, Physics (which is strange for an art major, I know, however...)
This was in the May issue of Popular Mechanics. You know, the magazine that will tell you how to build a car lift our of toothpicks... You can open the photo and pinch it open further. Here are some salient points:
 You should be able to go to their magazine web site for May/June 2020 and pull up the article, but a couple of highlights...

First, what are they even talking about, much less the differential equation?

Next a clue for you:

Then...
Got it?


The significance of Eads Bridge for my STL friends: In the history of bridge building, 1874, right out our doorway in STL. If they could have built it sooner, STL would be larger than Chicago, maybe, they have, however, the benefit of Great Lake shipping lanes.


Gordon Lightfoot lyrics: What I found interesting is when he recorded The Way I Feel for a special Cash - Dylan album he changed the last verse from a repeat to new words that, I think, give the song a greater meaning, a sense of hope...I'd follow you,       if you'd wait for me. I am not 100% because I can not find printed lyrics. It is one of my four favorite of many, many Lightfoot recordings. It was a true treat to see him in person 2 years ago, even though he is now a small, frail man. Great concert from an icon.

The Way I Feel
Not sure I understand, but:
If you don't like meat, why would you purchase and eat fake meat? From my MIZZOU Alumni Mag:
Beyond Meat with its well know investors Bill Gates and Leonardo DiCaprio, tapped the expertise of MU professors to launch the company now producing the well-received Beyond Burger sold widely in grocery stores, schools, and restaurants. Its manufacturing site in Columbia expanded to 100,000 sf, generating 250+ jobs in mid-Missouri. The company also brought licensing income to the university. I guess you can buy Beyond Fried Chicken from KFC. The Colonial might role over...

More Florida: 
Rear view of neighbor's villa, the yellow frangipani and blue plumbago caught my eye during an evening walk.



Quarantine Humor:





Finally: I heard there is a new kid in class, his name is DAD. Parents are watching/grading teachers!!!



Below The Fold---------------------------------------


Enter at your own risk:


Next blog...




No comments:

Post a Comment